Cream Silk Pin Cushion for Show and Tell Friday!

Hello my Sparkly Friends! This is my show-and-tell piece - a cream silk pincushion from 1846.
It belonged to Mary Bigelow of Waltham Mass. The design is actually made out of straight pins!



It was given to me by my husband's aunt. Her husband was related to the Mayor of Waltham, who was married to Mary. This is how it came to me. I forgot her husband's name, but it is engraved on a gold pocket watch given to him by the Waltham Watch Company. I have a few more keepsakes from this couple, but I will save them for more Show and Tell Fridays!
Have a sparkly weekend my friends, please drop by tomorrow for Pink Saturday!
Save Now
Today I am joining Cindy at My Romantic Home
for SHOW and TELL FRIDAY!
Please stop by and see what others have to Show and Tell!!

Sparkly Hugs,
Tobi and the Pixies!

10 comments

  1. What a beautiful pincushion! I never would have guessed thoses were straight pins... how clever!
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is just awesome!!! especially since those are my initials! ;}

    m ^..^

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are so lucky to inherit such beautiful pincushion.. it came with lots of history behind it.. thanks for sharing

    fitty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...this takes my breath away. How ingenious. And oh so very beautiful.

    My New Doll -my Show n Tell. I would really enjoy your company if you can drop by to visit me. Hope you're having a terrific Friday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been spotting fairies since I was tiny. I thought I was the only one! This is going to be my new home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How pretty and great that you know the history behind it also. I bookmarked your site and will be back to check out some of your other posts when I have more time.
    Thanks for stopping by and reading along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous pincushion. How lucky you are!! I hope you have a fabulous weekend.
    Valarie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Straight pins? what a fab idea. That is quite a treasure you have there, very old.
    Thanks for stopping by my new blog. "YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL" I am excited to get it going. I stopped by your make up site. I think it would be fun for you to give us some makeup tips... I know I could sure use them.
    Blessings!
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Tobi!
    Thanks for leaving that nice comment on my blog! your creations look unique and interesting! I'll be curious to see how they look on etsy!!!Maryanne:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun you must have creating these beautiful pieces. I find this blog very interesting and a delight to read. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete